Friday, July 27, 2007

Informing on t..r..affic

Traffic - The most frightful thing I can think of..A lot has been written about traffic conditions but noone ever informed me about the live traffic at particular location area when I needed it..

But today I came accross a site http://www.btis.in/ which provides the live traffic conditions on streets of Bangalore. The traffic condition at various places is plotted on the map of Banglaore with red, orange and green colored dots representing heavy, moderate and no congestion respecively. It also provides this info on the mobile phones through SMS. This website is a partnership of Mapunity, Airtel, and Bangalore Traffic Police - a great effort by all of them. So today onwards, before I leave the office I will quicky glance the map on this website and take the less busy route to my home accordingly. Such a powerful way of INFORMING about the Bangalore traffic. Just try think beyond informing, where this information be used and there are dozens of it!

I had seen that this service was made available sometime back at http://www.maps.google.com/ but it was restricted to US. The traffic density is shown by coloring the roads by different colors and it looks truly amazing. But I was equally amazed to see similar thing for our own Bangalore. The UI may not be as good as that of google but it serves the purpose well.

I am now waiting for the day when real time traffic would be available on dashboard of my vehicle besides the speedometer. I can sense that the day is not so far..

2 comments:

Bhuwan said...

Did you know that 'Mapunity' happens to be a company running out of one room at IIMB by 4-5 people. (One of those is a friend of mine btw :D). They are doing some real cool work.

The Creative Corner said...

Thats true and am aware of that..and the stuff they are doing in GIS is amazing..